About Usernames

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Dotty Dotty 1 month ago.

• Author
    rparents
    rparents
    Keymaster

There has been a lot of talk lately about people changing, wanting to change, thinking about changing their username.

When people go to sign up for the forum, they are warned, strongly advised, and cautioned to choose something that does not identify them. (Also suggested that a name that makes them feel good is chosen.)

When I see someone choose their own name, their email or a portion of either, the registration gets deleted. I may miss a few

Usernames are not able to change. One trick is to assign a nickname that will show, but the original name is still used for login. If a new public nickname is decided upon, it can make old threads nonsensical because people are still referring to the old name.

The only way to get around this is to register in a new way, with new email address and new username. But then you’re new and nobody on here knows you’re actually an old member.

All if this is complicated. PLEASE … choose wisely. Read the instructions when you register. They’re there for a reason.

Thank you.

Sheri McGregor

Yellow Rose
    Yellow Rose
    Participant

Pick something fun and positive that isn’t your name or a location that would easily recognizable as you. Words matter and if we name ourselves something negative, we may stay stuck in that negative label longer than is beneficial to us. Who knows, in a month or six months we may feel totally different – hopefully, we will be moving forward with a new perspective. And welcome!

rparents
    rparents
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s what new users are advised. It’s more fun to think of yourself as you want to be, were, or truly are behind the anguish of the moment. Because that will go away!

Sheri

Thebluesky
    Thebluesky
    Participant

Just seeing if I’m still on board here. The phone format does not let me see my whole reply. Tried desktop and submitted but don’t know if my response went through that way. Sorry if off topic here. Just holding that my user name still worked.

Rebel
    Participant

I believe mine is what I feel, the movie, Rebel without a cause! Don’t believe anyone will ever think of me! Sometimes I feel like I have nothing, therefore being the rebel! Hope to hear from all of you!

sonshine
    sonshine
    Participant

I’m new here as well. My username is sonshine…with hope that my son will shine again in my life. He is greatly missed and this estrangement from me and my family is going into it’s 5th year. I’m getting better, but my heart is still forever broken. Thankful for this community.

Blue
      Participant

Hi sonshine I’m blue never thought i would be on a web-site for the broken-hearted. Any advice? How. Do i move on?

Ande
    Participant

I’m new here also.. My user name is Ande ,my nickname as a young girl in scouting in my youth. My daughter is a Borderline Personality, which has been extremely difficult to deal with as some of you must already know. I have stepped away from her because I choose not to be abused. But that does not change the fact that deep inside I am still a Mom and was a very good one …It makes me sad at times as I am sure it does for all of you. I am thankful for this community !

rparents
    rparents
    Keymaster

Ande, I hope you will post in the other threads, or start a new topic of your own. Your post might not be seen much in this particular thread.

I’m really sorry about your daughter. Sometimes, parents really must do what is necessary to preserve their own sanity.

Please take good care of yourself, and know that there are many here who also have adult children with mental health diagnoses.

HUGS,
    Sheri McGregor

Newworldarising
    Newworldarising
    Participant

I am brand new here and my user name reflects what I hope for myself and my husband. I am amazed at how much comfort I feel from reading posts – mainly, my husband and I are not alone. We are good parents, like all of you and just reading these posts has inspired me to get up, put on a little makeup and move on with my day. It’s not easy, definitely a process, but we deserve it. Thank you!

peachy19
    Participant

newworldarising i am fairly new i jumped in because mothersday, my son and grandaughters birthdays were approaching and i knew that i would not be part of of the celebations and my heart was broken so i bought the book done with the crying it is informative and interactive the one i could understand is that it is not my fault and to stop blaming myself for his decision to cut me off from his life and go on with mine .what i was important is to pay attention to why i kept beating myself up this was his decision no matter how many times i said sorry no reply so i found that this too will pass i will not blame me i will read stay healthy and enjoy my life

Zombie
    Participant

❤️

Blue
    Participant

Hi I’m new too. Ive been sad for awhile not sure how to deal with this unreal situation i find myself in. Children that were my joy . How can they do this to me?

Blue
    Participant

Hey Sheri its blue having a tough time letting this go and not letting it consume my days. Any thoughts?

Blue
    Participant

Wish i could move on let all the hate , bitterness move from my heart.

Dotty
    Dotty
    Participant

Welcome, Blue

I’m glad you found us, but very sorry to hear that you are hurting.

Have you read Sheri’s book, Done with the Crying? This is such a valuable resource for learning how to move past the pain, bitterness and hate. It has helped me so much, and so many folk on this forum.

I have lost a much-loved son to estrangement, and as a result of the mess a brother has stirred up, other family members have also estranged themselves. So sad, and so unnecessary.

Please post more of your story when you feel able, but in the mean time please do try and get hold of a copy of the book. It’s available on Amazon.

Much Love

Dotty

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.